BDIH is a German Federal Association, founded in 1951, that was the first to elaborate manufacturing standards for natural and organic cosmetics.
COSMOS NATURAL standard requirements
- No requirements as to a particular amount of organic ingredients, but it is compulsory that they should be present.
- Optionally the manufacturer may state on the back of the packaging (not on the front) the percentage of organic components by weight in the total product.
COSMOS ORGANIC standard requirements
- At least 95% of the ingredients should be natural. It is possible to use up to 5% of synthetic components from the list of ingredients approved by the standard
- Not less than 95% of agro- ingredients must be organic
At least 20% of the ingredients of the total weight should be organic for
leave-inproducts and at least 10% for the rinse-offones.
- It is compulsory to state the percentage of the organic ingredients by weight in the total product.
VEGAN standard requirements:
It is prohibited to use any additives, ingredients and impurities of animal origin, as well as
by-productsor their derivatives.
- The development and manufacture of the products must not involve experiments or testing on animals.
- The development and production of the product must not involve genetically modified organisms (GMO), containing animal genes.